Rochester, NY Criminal Defense Lawyer Protects the Accused
Determined representation for New Yorkers facing various criminal charges
If you have been arrested, or are under investigation for a crime, your freedom and your future are at stake. The Law Office of Maurice J. Verrillo, P.C. provides capable and determined representation based on more than 30 years of experience. We understand there are times when individuals are wrongfully accused, but that many times errors of judgment or poor life choices also lead to criminal charges. We work diligently to protect your rights and achieve a favorable outcome.
What does it mean to be a Christian criminal defense attorney?
Under our American system of justice, every accused person deserves a vigorous defense, and on that we deliver. But, as a Christian law office, we believe that justice must be tempered with mercy. That means that even when the facts of the case are against you, we are determined to fight for an outcome that serves your best interests. We are passionate in advocating for our clients because we believe they are also children of a loving God, who searches for them when they are lost and rejoices when they are found.
Trustworthy advocate for a variety of criminal charges
Since 1987, accused individuals in the Rochester area have trusted us for representation in a wide range of cases, including:
- Traffic offenses and DWI — If you’ve received a ticket for a moving violation, the fines and penalty points are just the beginning. You could face a license suspension, and your insurance premiums could skyrocket. As for a DWI, you could immediately lose your license and also face jail time and steep fines. To protect your license, your freedom, and your wallet, it’s important to fight traffic offenses, but only with an experienced attorney at your side.
- State crimes — Most criminal charges fall under state law. In New York, state crimes are categorized as misdemeanors, ranging from unclassified (DWI) to Class B (prostitution) to Class A (petit larceny). The most serious crimes are felonies, which include murder, armed robbery, other types of robbery), fraud and aggravated harassment. Drug crimes can range from misdemeanors to felonies depending upon several variables. Misdemeanors are punishable by a maximum sentence of two years while felony sentencing can draw as much as life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.
- Federal charges — If an offense violates a federal law, crosses state lines, occurs on federal property or targets a federal officer in the performance of duties, the crime is a federal offense. When you are charged with a federal crime, you face highly professional investigation from the FBI and well-trained prosecution from the U.S. Department of Justice. It’s vitally important to retain a defense lawyer who is capable of performing up to their level.
- Domestic violence — While not a separate crime in New York, domestic violence is an aspect of certain crimes that enhances the penalties imposed. A crime of domestic violence is one that involves people in a romantic relationship or members of the same family or household. Sex crimes, violent crimes and offenses such as stalking and harassment can all be punished as domestic violence, including imposition of restraints on contact with the victim.
- Sex offenses — In New York as elsewhere in the country, sex offenses are a broad category of crime that includes some form of unwanted sexual touching of a victim, such as rape or other forms of sexual assault. Penalties range from up to a year in jail for the misdemeanor of forcible touching to five to 25 years in prison for first-degree aggravated sexual abuse. In addition, sex crime convictions carry the requirement of registration as a sex offender for at least 20 years.
- Weapons charges — Offenses involving guns and other weapons are punished severely in New York. They range from possession of a switchblade or gravity knife, a misdemeanor carrying a year in jail, to possession of an explosive device or a cache of firearms, a felony punishable by five to 25 years. The circumstances and location of the weapons crime also have bearing on the degree and the level of punishment.
No matter the charge, we are prepared to defend you vigorously and work for the best possible outcome under the facts of your case. Drawing on our in-depth knowledge of case law and precedent as well as our attention to detail, we have helped numerous people convicted of traffic offenses, misdemeanors, and felonies regain their freedom and amend their criminal records.
Correcting wrongs through the appeal process
When trials were mishandled, evidence was illegally obtained, your civil rights were violated or the judge and jury made a mistake, you may have grounds for a criminal appeal. Our firm’s astute lawyers and experienced legal staff will research your case and discover every possible basis for overturning your conviction.
Contact our convenient, effective, faith-based legal service in Rochester
The Law Office of Maurice J. Verrillo, P.C. in Rochester cares about the outcome of your criminal case. Call us at 585-563-1134 or contact us online to receive a free 30-minute initial consultation.