Reputable Rochester Lawyer Defends Individuals Accused of Sex Crimes
Skilled New York attorney pursues exoneration and leniency for clients
Accusations of sexual assault and other sex crimes are given high priority in the New York criminal justice system and no person should attempt to face them without a capable and experienced defense attorney. At the Law Office of Maurice J. Verrillo, P.C. in Rochester, New York, we represent people against charges of sex crimes ranging from misdemeanors to felonies. With more than 30 years of criminal defense practice, our Maurice J. Verrillo is committed to Christian values and to protecting the rights of the accused. We build strong evidentiary cases and negotiate effectively with prosecutors to have charges reduced or dismissed in appropriate situations.
Experienced trial lawyer develops strategic defenses to sex offense charges
In order for a sexual act to be criminal, it must have occurred without consent or involve a party incapable of consenting. In New York, a person cannot legally consent if they are under the age of 17, mentally disabled, mentally incapacitated or physically helpless.
Prosecutors can pursue harsh punishments for the crimes outlined in the New York’s sex crime statutes, including but not limited to:
- Sexual misconduct — Engaging in nonconsensual sexual intercourse of any kind or in nonconsensual oral or anal sexual conduct is a Class A misdemeanor.
- Rape — Intercourse by forcible compulsion or with a person who is incapable of consent constitutes felony rape.
- Predatory sexual assault — This charge arises from causing serious physical harm or using or threatening to use a dangerous instrument while committing a sexual offense.
- Criminal solicitation — Asking or forcing another person to commit prostitution can be charged as a felony, misdemeanor or violation depending upon the circumstances.
- Child abuse —A parent or other legally responsible adult who inappropriately touches a child or exposes a child to sexual activity can be charged with child abuse.
- Internet sex crimes —State and federal laws criminalize engaging in communications of a sexual nature with a child online or seeking out, possessing or promoting child pornography.
We work closely with our clients to develop comprehensive, tailored legal strategies. We pursue all viable defenses, such as showing that a sexual encounter was consensual or that the victim identified the wrong offender.
Determined advocate petitions to downgrade sex offender registry level
A person convicted of a sex offense is required to register with the New York Division of Criminal Justice Services and may also have to notify the community in which he or she lives. The level of the offense determines the length of time for which the person must register and the scope of community notification required. A Level 1 offender — one determined to have the lowest risk of committing another offense — must register for 20 years. Lifetime registration is required for Level 2 moderate risk offenders and Level 3 high risk offenders, both of whom are subject to community notification. The levels are affected by whether the court designates a convicted person as a sexual predator, a sexually violent offender or a predicate sex offender.
As a knowledgeable and experienced criminal defense attorney, Maurice J. Verrillo fights criminal charges that could lead to mandatory registry. Our firm also seeks leniency for convicted offenders during registration hearings and petitions to have risk levels downgraded. We aim to help our clients remove the stigma that can make it exceptionally difficult to reform their lives and careers.
Contact a committed Rochester defense attorney to schedule a free initial consultation
If you have been charged with a sex crime, the Law Office of Maurice J. Verrillo, P.C. can provide a skilled defense. We vigorously assert the rights of the accused and strive for just results based upon the special circumstances of each case. To arrange for a free initial consultation with our Rochester, New York office, call us at 585-563-1134 or contact us online.